- Aaron Swartz – tech whiz, an early founder of Reddit, worked on RSS, founded advocacy group Demand Progress. Committed suicide at age 26 in January 2013.
- Leonard Cohen – Musician, poet, novelist.
- Sheryl Crow – Has a melancholy personality since childhood.
Actors and Actresses
- Ashley Judd
- Gwyneth Paltrow – Experienced depression after the death of her father, as well as post-partum depression.
- Jim Carrey
- Jon Hamm
- Robin Williams – One of our greater contemporary comedians he experienced ongoing struggles with depression.
- Ryan Phillippe
- J.K. Rowling – Author of the Harry Potter series.
- C.H. Spurgeon – An 1800’s preacher in England who presided over an evangelical mega-church and wrote numerous books.
- William Cowper – A gifted poet and hymnist, a friend of John Newton.
- Simon Brown – Spurgeon says of Brown, “It reminds me of the history of a godly man named Simon Brown, a minister in the olden times in the City of London. He became so extremely sad in heart, so depressed in spirit, that at last he conceived the idea that his soul was annihilated. It was all in vain to talk to the good man, you could not persuade him that he had a soul; but all the time he was preaching, and praying, and working, more like a man that had two souls than none.” (A Christmas Question No. 291)
- Charlotte (Lottie) Diggs Moon – Famous female missionary to China.
- Kay Warren – Suffers from a low-level depression most of her life. Dysthymia? Read about it here.
- J.B. Phillips – Created a lively translation of the New Testament still well-loved, wrote several books, served as pastor and youth leader in the Anglican church.
- Buzz Aldrin – Famed astronaut.
- Wayne Brady – Comedian.
- Abraham Lincoln – One of America’s most famous presidents, significant amounts have been written about his probable depressive bouts.
- Mary Kennedy – wife of Robert Kennedy Jr., committed suicide in 2012. Was known as the life of the party but also struggled with periods of deep depression.
- Tipper Gore – wife of Al Gore, struggled with depression following her son’s severe car accident.
- Winston Churchill – leading British politician during WWII.